A Line & A Circle

 Walking Nature

2nd Day of 30 Days Wild, and it coincides with the birthday of Land Artist, Richard Long (b.1945). At the age of 22, while a student at Central St. Martin's, he produced an early example of both Environmental Art & Conceptual Art with 'A Line Made by Walking' (1967), which was simply made by his walking back and forth across a field in Wiltshire, leaving a trace of that journey. It raised all the usual issues that accompany conceptual work, but working with nature-based materials: earth, rock, mud, water became his mainstay and signature.

             

It's made me wonder what environmental art I could do this month for the challenge. I also love his circular poem made to represent a circular walk, which I'd love to be able to do.



Day 2:2022: Talking Circles

Day 2: #30DaysWild2022: in the effort to tame my weighed down, straying rose bushes in the front garden, I now have masses of blooms gracing my kitchen, adding colour and a feeling of richness.

     
And always, by association, the famous line of Gertrude Stein comes to mind. I loved hearing her speak life into it in her broad (Brooklyn?) accent in a film about the women of the Left Bank, Paris - really making it so it made sense!!!


In following that thread of thought, I came across an avant garde band from yesteryear: Henry Cow, whose use of that famous line by 'the Mama of Dada', in Nine Funerlas of the Citizen King, marked a turning point in their music, being their 1st foray into making a more political statement:


Loving all these roses!


 








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sea of Tranquility

Heaven at Devil's Dyke

Crickets vs Grasshoppers