A Walk of Art

Mindful Awareness

I recently attended a 'Mindfulness & Meditation' hour at Brighton Art College. Not being very skilled at sitting doing nothing, or clearing my mind, I wasn't sure how effective the session might be, but it was facilitated in such a way, by Sebastian Beaumont, that the process was unexpectedly easy. Just a simple little analogy did the trick. We were invited to imagine trying to get to work by bus, or some important event; and to think of our thoughts as if they were buses. It doesn't make sense to jump on the first bus that comes along. We need to take a moment to consider if it's the right one; whether it will take us to where we want to go. If not - let it pass by, and the next. It's not necessary to jump on the back of the first thought that enters our mind; better to wait, no matter how uncomfortable that might feel; what doubts and questions might arise (unexplained delays; has the route changed and no-one told us?!) Destination: Peace. 


Wonder Walk

Refreshed and inspired, I gained enough confidence to believe I could manage my thoughts, and not get carried away. Before leaving, we were given 'homework': to undertake a 'Wonder Walk'. Be it the length of the corridor outside; the journey home; within a certain time period, or between two chosen places; to be mindful of what we saw; heard; smelt; remembered. Starting the moment I left, I was rewarded as soon as I opened the main doors: amazed at the pre-twilight sun, curiously hazy, in a bruised sky; a breakthrough of life-giving light. 

Look Up - Look Down


I liked how even while looking down at my feet, I was able to see that which was above my head; that which was. technically, 'out of sight'. An organic mirror. A meeting-place of two distant areas, in one grounded space. Making of my earlier irritation, at it raining again, a thing of beauty; something I could appreciate, now seeing it in a new light. Full of reflection and wonder, in every sense. The juxtaposition of hard, man-made asphalt, and soft, fluid water. Stark lines of prohibition. A textured warning to those with impaired sight. The kerb had a lot to say.


Public House - Private Thoughts


The King & Queen Pub, directly opposite, was an old stomping ground in my teenage years; loaded with years of memories. The whole building was, for me, a record-keeper of rebellion, and discovery. The heavy, studded Gate, designed to protect the adjoining courtyard, was open. I was mindful that my last visit to this place had been over a decade earlier, when I had met with a friend after their recovery from a heart attack. At that time, I had recently given up drinking; he had not. 

A Gate is a boundary that signifies ownership and  enclosing space. Yet, it allows a view through - to see what is beyond. What, or who, do we wish to keep out? 
What do we strive to protect ourselves from? What boundaries are in place in our lives? Are they effective,or just for show? What can be seen just beyond? 



How Does Your Garden Grow?


As it had been raining earlier, there weren't many people drinking outside, though shelter was provided.
There seemed to be in this one space, many contrasts, that found a measure of balance: shelter & exposure; old architectural features & modern additions; rough wood & smooth Dutch tiles; fresh air & ashtrays! 

I was drawn to the pocket-handkerchief-sized corner of garden planting. Such care had been taken in it's composition. It's relatively small scale seemed to have a big impact; the way a small dab of strong perfume can fill a room. I liked the mix of delicate leaves among sturdy rocks. The dark soil like grout in a living mosaic.

What do we plant in our lives by choice? What small area of our life needs more cultivating? What must be weeded out? How can we restore our personal Eden?



Walls...

I Love old Sussex stonework. In the Grange Museum at Rottingdean, there are exhibits that show the different kinds of mortar patterns: Potato Patch Pointing; Snail Trail, or Snail Creep Pointing, and others. I love the contrasts shown in this one little example: a marriage of curves & solid lines; naturally sourced beach cobbles & industrially-made clay bricks; the warm red tones contrasting with cool blue-grays. Too easy to miss.

Another boundary. Inside - outside. Structure; bounded space. This wall connects Brighton Museum and Art Gallery, and protects Pavilion Gardens. 

I had to stop and admire what I saw. My junior school had once boasted the oldest example of Sussex stonework, only to be torn down by developers to make way for a retail store, that lasted just a few years. 


...and Doorways 

Brighton is rich with historical details and nowhere more beautiful than the pavilion and its surroundings. I love the glimpse through this exotic frame of what was once known as 'Prinny's Folly' - the pavilion, which the Prince Regent loved, and Queen Victoria loathed. It narrowly missed a similar  fate as my school - saved in the nick of time by the populace of Brighton. 

Fads and fashions, and what endures. How values can change over time. What is precious now may be unappreciated by others later; or vice versa. What is best shed, and what worth preserving? 

George IV's tastes vastly taxed the economy of his day; his 'budget' spent entirely on satisfying every fanciful whim. Yet now brings in revenue. How do we determine what is of lasting value - for us, and for those who come after? 

Opportunity Knocks

Hi, Honey, I'm home! You'd certainly know it - with this substantial door-knocker. Ostentatious. Impressive. Over the top. 

The decor around this entire site is an unrestrained  romp through a treasure trove of cultural designs; mythology; fantasy; antiquity. Take notice.

Stand at the door. It may be closed, but there is a way through, if you knock. In wishing to enter, you'll be made aware of the gravity of begging permission. Take fate in your hands; feeling the heaviness that resounds in your chest. Do you dare enter? 

Mythological tales are full of vengeance and violence. Don't be fooled by the beauty of this goddess before you - she sees all; her eyes never close: a fitting guardian of respect and of honoring boundaries.

The Writing on the Wall



From 'Prinny' to present day - the tradition to live life large here in Brighton has been maintained. Home to many artistes: dancers; actors; poets; architects; designers; Brighton is accommodating; colourful; cohesive; vibrant, alive. But it's so easy to be inured to our surroundings; taking so much for granted. 

I was reminded on this short walk, that I was about 16 before I paid a visit to the pavilion  on a school trip. Many years later, after a solo trip around parts of Europe, I determined I would 'play tourists' when I returned home; making a point of going to places dismissed as 'tourist attractions'. How much do we miss out on with such quick, unthinking dismissals? Cheating ourselves of treasures that are all around us in plain sight: unnecessary paupers. 

I was grateful for what I gained from just one short mindfulness & meditation session; and happy to share some of the booty found on my mindful Wonder Walk



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Crickets vs Grasshoppers

Heaven at Devil's Dyke

Spider to the Rescue!